Saturday, November 3, 2012

Common Core, Ugh!

Many teachers are struggling with the Common Core and how to restructure their classrooms to meet the new standards.  We are developing a fantastic new workshop on Daily 5 for Math.  Look for it some time in Feburary 2013.  If you liked the Daily 5 Workshop, you'll love this one!  Think, I CAN!!

Reading...

Progress reports are coming out very soon, which means our tutoring center will soon be full.  Every year we help students with reading, among other things.  We've been hosting Daily 5 and Cafe workshops for teachers and have adopted those strategies with our reading students in the tutoring center.  The kids that are familiar with it get so excited to see it in our center.  There are many different ways students struggle with reading.  Letter recognition, comprehension, accuracy, fluency, vocabulary, ADD, ADHD, and possibly Dyslexia, just to name a few.  One of the blogs I follow, Classroom Collective, posted the warning signs of Dyslexia.  Visit www.classroomcollective.com under the Special Education tab to see the list.

I'm doing what I can to get a tutor in here that has been trained in the Orton Gillingham program, especially for dyslexic students.  It's important to me that we help every student that comes through our doors.

Math...

We are already booking up in the area of math in our tutoring center.  We have students in for basic math through Calculus.  Math students typically, have stumbled somewhere along the way on an application that keeps rearing it's ugly head because math is sequential.  You need to learn basic skills that will be used all the way up the Math Ladder. If your student stumbles on a rung along the way, they'll keep stumbling. Our math tutors help your students figure out where they're stumbling.

A.C.T.

Our next A.C.T. Workshop is Sunday, November 18th, 2012 from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.  Students get guided instruction on each section and will get practice tests.  Students are taught testing strategies and our instructor eases their test anxiety.  We've had great success in raising composite scores.  Our class sizes are small so that students feel at ease in asking questions.

Make & Take Fun!

I love organization!!  As organized as I am, I always find new ways to improve on it.  Pinterest has a load of ideas, but how many of you have actually used what you've pinned?  Most of us have to be motivated to try something new.  In my Make & Take Fun class you'll get motivated to make educational games and organizational tools for your classroom/home.  I've tried out alot of things I've seen on Pinterest, and some of it I've tossed and some I've made more versatile.  These classes are an opportunity to test some of those ideas out and more.

The last blog post...

I'd just like to say that in my last blog, I went on and on about how wonderful the GroceryPal app was on my phone and now it's not working.  Bummer.  The company issued a statement on their blog that due to changes in servers and server connections they were unable to provide information on circulars.  That was the best feature!  I'm in search of a new one, updates to come.


No comments:

class='nopin' height="391" border="0"width="400" src="http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YCbNO9wFQrQ/UPrZegPAXVI/AAAAAAAACK8/b7p-0NuZScI/s400/photo.jpg">